[BBLISA] datacenter for compute cluster?

stephen g. wadlow sgw at wadlow.net
Wed Jun 4 22:44:36 EDT 2008

I used to have hosting there back in the post-harvardnet days, when I
think it was hosting.com.

For being well built-out, they had a lot of failures.    They are/
were on both the Somerville and Charlestown powergrids, with diesel
generators, and many racks having UPS backup on top of that, and even
with that, they still ended up having the entire datacenter go dark
on one, possibly two occasions.    They also built out with redundant
fiber feeding the buildings, but the fiberpaths converged just
outside the building, and the datacenter lost all network for a few
days when the bigdig took out some of the fiber.

I'd *hope* that these problems have been fixed.   Unfortunately, that
datacenter has changed hands -so- many times in the last 8 years that
I'm a bit skeptical.
Let's see... Harvardnet, Allegiance Telecom, Hosting.com, Boston
Datacenters, and now HostedSolutions.
I'm pretty sure XO had partial ownership for a while, and I'm sure
that I'm forgetting at least one other ownership transition.

								-steve