[BBLISA] datacenter for compute cluster?

Jon Young jon at drboom.com
Wed Jun 4 14:57:03 EDT 2008

Chris,
What kind of power density do you need?  That was the biggest issue when I
last researched this (~ 2yrs ago) and I found that very few local
datacenters can handle more than 30A at 110V or 40A at 220V/rack (yes, I realize
they think in W/sqft but it is sometimes easier to think in terms of
electrical utilization).  I found it too expensive to Colo our compute
cluster and much more cost effective to simply build out a new datacenter
room with proper A/C.  I know of others with similar issues and, while some
are using (and hating) colos for this, most find it much more cost effective
for compute clusters to remain at the office.

Jon