[BBLISA] noexec

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Fri Jan 25 12:19:40 EST 2008

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Is it possible to permanently change /tmp and /var/tmp to chmod o-wx,
> and then prevent anything from ever creating world writable and
> executable in those folders?

No. What good is an unwritable /tmp?

I think what you're trying to reinvent here is noexec. If that's the
behavior you want, then use it. It may necessitate repartitioning your
disk so /tmp and /home go on their own file system.

The other issue to raise in this thread is that it feels a bit
antiquated to be imposing these kinds of restrictions on users of a
system. If they are really that untrustworthy, then they would be better
served bing boxed off in a virtual machine. Then you can impose disk,
memory, network, and other restrictions on the entire VM.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA