[BBLISA] Re: SELinux

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 25 05:46:36 EST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Daniel Hagerty wrote:

> Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU> writes:
>
>> Considering the balance of changing crontab's source code vs noexec,
>> noexec seems the more reasonable approach of the two.  Not the best
>> solution, but weighing the two options, possibly the most practical at
>> this point.
>
>    Except I've reached the point where I have little faith it will
> help with your unspecified problem.
>
>    noexec will hose you if an otherwise legitimate job is on that
> filesystem, because it won't exec.  On the flip side, noexec does
> nothing to prevent a priviledge escalation problem if a user puts
> ". /foo/bar/script.sh" as a command for cron (oh look, another way
> where user A doing something foolish can lead to user B impersonating
> him, and therefore forget what I said about fixing exec*() probably
> being enough).

Is it possible to permanently change /tmp and /var/tmp to chmod o-wx, and
then prevent anything from ever creating world writable and executable in
those folders?

Then, is it possible to carry those changes to individual user home
directories?

I could do the chmod myself then modify the permissions of chmod to 700.

But that doesn't answer how applications will behave if they need to
create directories... would umask help?

>    Are we getting the idea yet?  This all would just be so much more
> productive if you'd just tell us what thought it was that precipitated
> "how do I limit cron's capabilities?".
>
>    I just can't help but get the feeling that our partial picture
> will lead you to doing something that produces an undeserved sense of
> security.

It's just one of those things where I'm simply following directions.

Thanks.

Scott