[BBLISA] Breaking Windows XP user password?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Jan 24 21:14:16 EST 2008

I have one of these somewhere. You can't obtain the password, but you
can change it by nulling the registry entry. The boot disk I have is a
linux iso that uses a freeware library to edit registry data files.

NT Password Recovery stuff
nt-recovery-cd060213.zip CD image from

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

I also have source to a program caledl chntpw from the same site:

First part of the README.txt:

The Offline NT Password Editor

(c) 1997-2004 Petter Nordahl-Hagen

See COPYING for copyright & credits.
See INSTALL for compile/installation instructions.

Where to get more info:

At that site there's a floppy and a bootable CD that use chntpw to
access the NT/2k/XP-system it is booted on to edit password etc.
The instructions below are for the standalone program itself, not the
floppy.

I've used it on XP. I don't expect it will work on Vista. I'm not sure
its terribly reliable, either.  But it is what it is. I haven't checked
for updates in a long time, there might be improved versions on the
website.

		--Dean