[BBLISA] Appreciate the help...

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Thu Jan 24 13:57:34 EST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I try not to wear out the list, but do what the list was created for -
> discussion and inquiry of UNIX and related topics.

I don't think you'll wear out the list, but I would like clearer
statements about the user's goals along with the technical questions.
Writing down the user's goals frequently exposes assumptions that totally
alter the technical (or perhaps non-technical) solution.  The purely
technical question you ask the list, although you will eventually get an
accurate answer, may not be the question that you need to ask in order to
make the user happy.  People reading the list aren't going to pick up on
that without background.

I'm *not* trying to discourage you from posting, but writing up a clear
statement of the user's goals is admittedly a non-trivial thing.  Writing
it will also prevent you from banging out a question without having
thought it through completely, which will ultimately save you (and
everybody who responds) the time and effort of going down a dead-end
investigation.

I am also aware that many organizations contain political issues or lack
of trust or economic/staffing constraints that make it impossible to do
this kind of analysis.  If that's the case for you, that's a different
problem.

Just my $.02,
Dave