[BBLISA] limiting cron's capability?

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Wed Jan 23 16:08:19 EST 2008

FWIW, a common thing with cron is to have a script which validates that only
one copy of the job is running at a given time.  ie:

*/10 * * * * /path/to/validation_script.sh /path/to/real_job

Such that if "real_job" takes 25 minutes, at :00 real_job is run, at :10 and
:20 validation_script.sh just exits, and at :30 real_job is run again.

It's a trivial change to validate that /path/to/real_job is something
"approved", such as no world-writable directories in /path/to, and erroring
out if something not approved is found.

But yes, I also wonder what you're trying to do here.  Just being paranoid ala
sendmail's checks?

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"For a while, all that stood between America and annihilation was a man with