[BBLISA] Fun with nosetuid!

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Tue Jan 15 18:10:01 EST 2008

Which filesystem? The one containing /usr/bin? What did you expect to
happen if you mounted it with nosetuid? You basically explicitly state
to ignore setuid settings on the filesystem when you use that option -
so it sounds like it did exactly what you asked.

You don't know how much pain you would inflict on yourself if you
mounted the OS stuff with nosetuid. There are some things that just NEED it.

nosetuid is typically used for remote filesystems like NFS where the
source cannot be trusted. I might also consider using it on user
filesystems where they might be considered "untrustworthy". I think I
used it on a number of student home filesystems back in a previous life.