[BBLISA] Definition of dump levels?

Steven M Jones smj at crash.com
Sun Jan 6 13:07:51 EST 2008

Scott: If you're doing this at the Institute see if Bob Lang is still in
Information Systems, he ought to be a good local resource for you. Tell
him I said "Hi!"

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Regarding which tapes to use, and overwrite versus append - I think you'll
> have to make this decision on your own; you can do it any way you wish. ...
> Each level9 can overwrite the previous level9, or just append
> again.  Same tape, or different tape.  Your call.

One thing to keep in mind WRT overwriting incrementals. Say a user
creates a file Tuesday, deletes it Wednesday, and asks you to restore it
Thursday. If you have filesystem snapshots this recovery might be
self-service, but if you don't they'll be asking you to spin tape. If
you aren't keeping your incrementals around, you won't be able to find
that file.

So your decisions here will depend on how your users and systems work,
to some degree.

> I positively recommend *testing* your backups regularly, by actually *performing* a restore.

Couldn't agree more. In some ways, clumsy users are a good thing. ;^)

--Steve.