[BBLISA] RAM for cluster net boot?

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Wed Feb 6 17:18:27 EST 2008

Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> writes:

> I'm looking at building a small cluster of disk-less 1 or 2U servers and will
> probably use CentOS 5.

    It's not 1990, so the immediate question is "what benefit is going
diskless giving you?"

    Back in the day when diskless was popular, disks were insanely
expensive, and several of the canonical diskless platforms
(e.g. sun3/60s or whatever that particular pizzabox model # was) could
actually do NFS writes faster than a local disk (provided the NFS
server could keep up).

    Neither of these properties are true anymore.