[BBLISA] windows disk diagnostics

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 01:05:10 EST 2008

I fully agree with that Maxtor warning and was very careful not to get
a repackaged drive.
I've never owned one of their drives and never plan too.

I guess it's asking to much to actually have my OS warn me when I'm
having some unusual rate of bad sectors... but that is what snmp +
SMART is for, eh?  Sure, don't have it as the default (we wouldn't
want to scare Joe-six pack with a warning he won't understand, I
guess) but I'd like the option.

Finally got smartmontools and it looks like it can be installed as a
service.  Nice... gotta read more about this tomorrow.

Every so often think I should switch my desktop to Linux... but that
just has its own headaches.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.

Eric