[BBLISA] windows disk diagnostics

Ben Eisenbraun bene at klatsch.org
Sat Feb 2 23:01:58 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 09:48:33PM -0500, Tom Metro wrote:
> Eric Smith wrote:
> >I'll go find a SMART utility and see what it says (on all the drives.)
>
> I used this on both Linux and Windows. Here's the link to the Windows
> version:
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#WindowsInstall

Smartmontools is useful, but if you really suspect the disk is on the way out,
all the hard drive manufacturers supply bootable CD ISOs with their own
testing/RMA tools.  The benefit there is that if the disk is dying, the tool
will generate the RMA number required for you to get a replacement.

-ben

--
do i contradict myself?
very well then, i contradict myself,