[BBLISA] Cisco ASA 5505 Security Plus

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Sep 27 14:55:50 EDT 2007

Hey y'all.  I'm looking at a Cisco ASA 5505.  And there's an add-on option
"Security Plus" that I've never seen before.  It's a module that supposedly
does anti virus, anti spam, etc etc etc.

Have any of you used the Security Plus module of Cisco?  I'm looking for
some firsthand experience on the effectiveness and quality of it, would
especially love a 5 minute phone call to ask what you think of it.

Some simple questions like ... Cisco says "antivirus" does that just mean
filtering at the network interface, or does it mean they give you antivirus
licenses for your PC's?   Cisco says "Anti spam."  But how do they implement
it?  When an email gets blocked, does the would-be recipient know about it,
and have some mechanism to go free up the quarantined mail?

And so on.

Thanks for any feedback, if you have any.