[BBLISA] ZFS question

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Mon Oct 29 15:45:31 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 09:52:37PM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> It is clear also, that there is necessarily a mechanism to automatically
> clear snapshots in some way or another.  If you never clear snapshots, then
> your disk will in fact be remembering every change, every deleted file that
> ever existed, and it will inevitably fill up.

Sure.  Unless you have some crazy large amount of storage, you'd want
to clean out snapshots periodically.  Though I like the idea of having a
remote server w/ a crazy large amount of storage where long-term snapshots
are kept around for DR, and the source can just have the last 2 weeks
or whatever for users to handle their own restores.

:)

--
Theo Van Dinter
Systems Administrator: bblisa.org, kluge.net, google.com, etc.