[BBLISA] ZFS question

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Oct 27 19:25:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> If I wanted to give a user, say, a 10G quota on their homedir which
> is going to have snapshots, I can't just do "zfs set quota=10G ...".
> This is because any file churn and such in the snapshots will eat away
> at the user's available space.  Eventually, the FS will be filled w/
> user data and snapshots, and the user will complain they can't write to
> files anymore.

Remember that snapshots fill the filesystem. You have to delete them
once in a while.  If I recall, the netapp had 10 snapshots, and adding a
new one deleted the old one. This was configurable, as I recall.  If the
user has a lot of churn, you can't keep a lot of snapshots. If they have
a huge churn (object directory for example), you practically can't have
snapshots.  These are just more things that have to be managed.  But the
snapshots belong in the user quota. One doesn't want user A's churn and
non-management to fill the disk so that user A and all the other users
are out of space.  We put quota's on to prevent that condition.

		--Dean

617 344 9000