[BBLISA] ZFS question

Rudie, Tony Tony.Rudie at fmr.com
Fri Oct 26 10:45:23 EDT 2007

I'll just outline what Network Appliance equipment does, for contrast:

For auto-clearing, there are hierarchical types of snaps.  Hourlies, nightlies, and weeklies.  You define how many of each to keep before letting them roll of the back

For space consumption, each volume has a "snap reserve" associated with it.  One way to think of it is that the files fill up the volume from one end, and the snaps fill it up from the other, and the snap reserve determines how you report on it.  If, for example, snap reserve is set to 20%, and the volume has 19% of its space taken up by snaps and 70% of its space taken up by files, df will report as follows:

Vol1  87.5%
Vol1/.snapshot   95%

If the same volume has 70% as files and 21% as snaps, df will say:

Vol1  88.7%
Vol1/.snapshot   105%

Because, in the second case, the snaps went over the edge of the snap reserve and started using up space in what is being reported on as file space.  Nothing breaks in this case, it just looks odd.

If you change the snap reserve on the volume to 21%, but still have 21% snap, 70% data, df looks like this:

Vol1  89.8%
Vol1/.snapshot   100%

More than you wanted to know, but...

 - Tony Rudié