[BBLISA] ZFS question

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Thu Oct 25 20:05:09 EDT 2007

Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> One thought of how to with this was to simply tack on some generic
> percentage to the quota, say 20%, which would allow for snapshots,
> ie: 12G.

This sounds more like a matter of perspective than a technical problem.
If the point to using quotas is to limit per-user resource usage, then
it seems pretty reasonable to include snapshots in the quota. Make the
user aware of this, and seeing as you are customizing thing per user,
give them the choice of how much space should be used up by snapshots
(indirectly by tuning the frequency of the snapshots).

> However, then there's nothing to stop the user from using all
> 12G, and we're back in the same situation again.

Does ZFS support soft quota limits? That would be one way of alerting
the user that they are going beyond the limits where they will be able
to maintain both data and snapshots.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro