[BBLISA] ypbind and ICMP host unreachable?

Rudie, Tony Tony.Rudie at fmr.com
Wed Oct 24 10:18:55 EDT 2007

Are you running ypbind -broadcast?  If so, you have to have ypserv running on the same subnet.  The alternative is to add IP addresses to the (I think) /var/yp/binding/<domainname>/ypservers file, and then ypbind will not run in broadcast mode.  We hate doing this because it's another item to maintain locally on every client.

The other thing we are often able to do is get the network guys to add "helper" statements to the routers so that ypbind DOES get routed to specific (ypserver) hosts.  I'm considerably fuzzy about how they do that, but I can get details if you're interested.

 - Tony Rudié