[BBLISA] New cell phone recommendation?

Adam Moskowitz adamm at menlo.com
Mon Oct 22 10:58:21 EDT 2007

My wife is in the market for a new cell phone with the following rather
specific requirement: She would like to use the phone as a pager (as
well as a phone, of course), and she would like to be able to dial
numbers sent to her in pages without having to write them down then
manually dial them. That is, she wants it to either "just work" or she
wants to use the stylus to highlight the number to be dialled then hit a
single button or key to actually cause the phone to dial.

The gotcha is that she's working with a very UN-technical paging company
and we have no idea how the messages will be sent. The phone may think
they're "text messages" or "email" or who-know-what-else but the point
is there's no guarantee of anything except the number to be dialed will
appear as text on the screen. And no, we can't get the paging company to
change how they do things; we have to take what they give us.

So, this sounds to me like she needs a Treo or something like it.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the Treos will do the job but I don't
know if all the different models will work this way. I also don't know
if there are other phones that can do this.

One last constraint: Our carrier is Verizon Wireless and we don't want
to change that.

Any recommendations, for or against?

Thanks,
AdamM