[BBLISA] What to do with a RAM-heavy desktop?

Patrick Paul patpaul at nebsystems.com
Thu Nov 29 16:11:59 EST 2007

Sorry for the delay, just getting to post-thxgiving day stuff now.

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Nathan Faust wrote:
>

>> Scott,
>>
>> Have you looked into Windows XP x86-64?  If you need to stay in the
>> Windows world, that would be the way to go.
>
> I'm looking at everything.  According to the Adobe user forums, though,
> Illustrator, Acrobat, and Photoshop don't seem to play well in the
> 64-bit worlds.  I have a query into Adobe's support for an answer.
>
> Anyone know?   I have Illustrator CS3 and Photoshop CS3 and Acrobat 8.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

I've used Adobe CS3 Design Premium, which includes Illustrator, Acrobat
and Photoshop on Vista-64, and the software was functional but 'ugly'.
Windows didn't look right, things didn't refresh.  Of all the 32-bit
software out there, I've found Adobe apps to work the least.

Alternatively, you can get the 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003
Enterprise R2, which supports 32GB of ram.  There are instructions
online that will let you get a more desktop experience, such as enabling
audio and visual features of XP, but I don't have a link just now.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/evaluate/features/compare.mspx

Unless other hardware in your environment is not Vista-compatible, I
would try Vista-64 first and see if the Adobe capabilities are good
enough.  Failing that, Windows Server Enterprise would be your best bet.