[BBLISA] Deleting files from dump?

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Thu Nov 29 09:17:37 EST 2007

I doubt it.   If you mean, you have 2 tapes with the same file on it,
and you want to remove it from one tape.

We use to have classified and non-classified backup tapes, and if
something got retroactively classified from the non-classified system we
had to classify the all the backups which contained that file.   Because
15 years ago dump couldn't do that, selectively remove files from a
backup.  It's theoretically possible but you'd have to do it  but you'd
have to write something that would stream from one tape to another, and
edit the stream on copy.

If you mean you backed it up with dump, and it's a static file and you
don't want it to appear in the future backups that is what incremental
do for you.  But that assumes 1) it's static 2) you don't fulls very
often.  With a product like Legato you can tell it to ignore a
file/directory, again I don't think dump currently knows how to do that.

johno