[BBLISA] Tape backup

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 25 09:15:36 EST 2007

For a machine with 750 GB x 4 SATA drives (connected to SAS backplane) = 3 TB
(roughly), what would be a recommended native/compressed lto3 [half-height]
capacity drive to use for backup?  This is a standalone desktop.

I am considering Windows native backup, if that will work with a tape drive.

Some of what I've seen are 400 GB native / 800 GB compressed.  Normally I'd
think that would fill quickly, but with tape drive technology and software,
another part of me thinks it may last longer than I expect.  I look forward to
getting educated here.

Thanks.

Scott