[BBLISA] Cisco versus Dell switches

Nicholas Kathmann nicholas.kathmann at kathmannconsulting.com
Mon Nov 19 18:48:26 EST 2007

I had similar problems with the Dell switches.  When Blaster / Nachi hit
way back when, we were the WAN hub of communications.  Only 6 systems on
the local LANs were infected, but every one of the sites connected to us
had major infections.  Just the ICMP traffic through the small WAN
circuits was enough to lock up every one of the Dell switches, including
the ones built into the Poweredge 1655MC blades.  They had to be powered
down then powered up, which meant in the blades, someone had to
physically go to the back of the racks and pull the switch modules out
one by one.  Dell was aware of the problem back then, but didn't have a
resolution for it.  When the Dell blades were decommissioned 3 years
later, out of curiosity I decided to check again, and still no updates.
That's my major grudge with Dell switches.

Depending on how many you plan on deploying and for what, Cisco has some
really nice features that you will probably not want to live without.
The main one for me is VTP (VLAN Trunk Protocol), which is a Cisco
proprietary protocol that communicates the VLAN info back to all of the
switches.  This means that if you have many switches (even into the
1000+ range), you can create the VLAN once, in one place, and have all
of the switches immediately pick it up.  Other options like the features
for Cisco NAC (Network Admission Control) etc are built into many of
their switches, the Cisco IP Phones use the auxilary VLAN info from the
Cisco switches to get their voice VLAN configurations, the Cisco
wireless APs and wireless IP phones use CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol)
to get their VLAN info, etc.  If you are planning on having a large
network with many different mediums served, I would stick with all
Cisco.  If you are going to have just one or two switches, even with
heavy NFS traffic, Dell is probably fine.  If you need multiple switches
with the ability to scale, I would go with Cisco.

Thanks,
Nick