[BBLISA] dump or Legato Networker?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Nov 12 16:04:17 EST 2007

Michael> On Nov 12, 2007 3:40 PM, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
>> What arguement(s) can be made of/for Legato vs dump?

Michael> I've been wanting to post a question about 'dump' but I've
Michael> been hesitant.

Don't.  We're all quite happy to rip in your mistaken beliefs!!  Bwah
hah haha!

Ok, seriously.  Don't worry, we all have questions we think are dumb
or silly or embarrassing, but hey ask anyway.  And we won't give you
grief at all.

Michael> I don't know why but I've always had a "flag" in the back of
Michael> my head that there's a problem with dump/restore going back
Michael> into the dawn of time.

Michael> I'd love to hear if anyone's aware of if this was a real
Michael> issue and if it was ever resolved.

Well, the general issue is open files.  And files created after the
backup process starts.

For example, if you are doing an incremental backup of just the files
that changed since the previous backup, you need to do two passes.
Well, not quite, you can optimize it, but there's definitely a window
where a file can be created (or deleted!) between the initial scan of
the directory and the actual reading of the file to be sent to tape,
disk, whatever.

John