[BBLISA] Galaxy Internet Services?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Wed May 30 20:29:59 EDT 2007

I've used a bunch of services, inlcuding fios, cable, and adsl.  But never
galaxy.
I find that most of the time they don't block ports and most of the time
they don't change your IP, but they will occasionally do that sort of stuff
when there's any hint of a reason to do so.

I used to run a server on my rcn cable line, and then blaster came out, (a
couple years ago) and they started blocking various things, which hosed me.
Recently I tried again and it works again.

The one thing that I think is consistent - they all block outbound port 25.
At least rcn, comcast, and verizon force you to use their smtp server unless
you connect to some server on port 587 or whatever.

If it needs to be reliable, the only way you can count on it is if you get a
service that's explicitly supposed to allow servers, static IP's, etc.  If
it doesn't need to be reliable, anything will do.