[BBLISA] Help with Dell PE2950 and RAID5 setup

Eddy Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Mar 8 09:34:09 EST 2007

I meant to say this is my partitioning scheme:
	/dev/sda1	/	12G
	/dev/sda2	swap	2x your ram in size
	/dev/sda3	physical volume, the rest of the drive.

	Create a volume group, called VG
	Create a logical volume, /home
	Create a logical volume, /var

There is no need to separate /boot and / anymore.  It's only separate as a
legacy antique from the days of 486.

It is smart (most of the time) to separate /home and /var from /.  Because
these things have a tendency to grow, and could fill the whole drive.

I feel it is a waste of space to dedicate a whole drive mirror to the OS.
Because the smallest drive you can get is probably 70G, and your OS only
requires 5-7 G maximum.  It is always a good idea to allocate 3-4 times more
space than you think you'll need for the the OS.  I personally allocate 20G
partition for the OS.

Just my personal opinion.