[BBLISA] Native backup/restore partition options

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 29 05:58:11 EDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:38:41PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> Now, to prevent having to reinstall CentOS (or any variant of linux for
>> that matter) time after time on other systems, what would be the best way
>> to preserve the [linux] installation I've completed, and possibly restore
>> it to different-sized partitions/drives?
>>
>> I checked out tar and dump/restore, but am not sure if they will do what I
>> want.
>
> dump does what you want. If you want good infrastructure around
> it, use Amanda.

What's the deal with Linus' 2001 warning of dump and its compatibility
with ext2 and the 2.4.x kernel tree?   Is that ancient history now?   Dump
is now reliable enough to act as a ghost-like product?

Thanks.

Scott