[BBLISA] Linux and desktops on isolated LAN

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Jul 31 17:20:22 EDT 2007

AFS.   www.openafs.org

AFS allows local caching, and optionally encrypts data transfers.  AFS
was way ahead of its time.  In today's environment, AFS works very well
over the internet with DSL and better connections.  When AFS was
created, a decent WAN connection was 56Kbs.

I use pam_afs modules to do the authentication, with local templates of
the passwd and group files.

AFS is handy for backups, too.

I thought MIT was already big on AFS....

Good choice, I think, on the tapes.

		--Dean