[BBLISA] Linux and desktops on isolated LAN

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 27 09:33:35 EDT 2007

I have a Redhat Enterprise 5 server and a few dual boot WinXP w/SP2 and
CentOS 5 desktops, all on an isolated LAN.

I want to set up Samba on the Enterprise 5 box to permit the XP desktops
to centrally authenticate to the server as a Windows domain controller,
and thus don't have to worry about local accounts on the desktops.

All Linux boxes are configured with Firewall enabled and SELinux enforced.

For linux to linux (Enterprise to CentOS), what is the best way to
establish user home directories that, when a user sits at a workstation
and boots into Linux, no matter what desktop they sit at, they log into
their home directory, even if they end up using multiple workstations to
get their job done.

Finally, for now, what is the best way to parse data and user accounts to
the desktops to share data preservation for backups?  As present, we don't
have tape or raid, and they will take time to arrive.  So for now, the
desktops will act as our backup media, too.   The plan will be to select a
handful of user accounts and some centralized data and push a copy out to
one desktop, and repeat for another desktop.

Thanks for any insights/input.

I'm still parsing through the results of the tape backup question I asked
earlier.  I'll post those results in the near future.   Thus far, LTO3/4
format is the winner.

Scott