[BBLISA] Tape drives?

Scott R Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 23 12:52:31 EDT 2007

I'm pricing tape drives for high reliability.   What vendor and what type do
more people trust - Quantum or Dell, or someone else?   Also, SDLT or LTO?
Price is not so much an issue as is reliability.    I aim for rack mount, but
that isn't so important if a suitable tape drive comes along that simply hangs
off the server.

Also, what brand/manufacturer tapes have people found most reliable?

This will be for 4 dual-boot (XP and CentOS 5) systems connecting to a PowerEdge
server.    I'm awaiting details on exactly how much storage we are actually
going to be dealing with, and if the data will be static or dynamic.

Thanks.

Scott