[BBLISA] Dedicated host / Colo provider for personal system?

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Sat Jul 21 22:24:58 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 09:13:26PM -0400, Paul Beltrani wrote:
> 2) Any recommendations for an inexpensive,  local (Boston area) colo
> that would host a single 1U system?

I'll give two thumbs up for Alienwebshop (http://www.alienwebshop.com/).
I use them as my domain registrar as well as hosting a few of my machines
(one of which runs bblisa.org fwiw).

> 3) Any recommendations for a dedicated host provider?

I don't have any direct experience, but when I was going back and forth
between hosting and colo, I was looking at these places:

http://serverbeach.com/
http://www.theplanet.com/
http://www.twshosting.com/states/massachusetts_server_colocation/massachusetts_server_colocation.php?packtype=colocation

FWIW, my main issue with all these places was finding a decent bandwidth package.
A lot of packages had low limits (<64Kb/sec average) by default.  That may be
ok depending on what you're doing, but I wanted something that wasn't so
constraining.

If you're a LOPSA member, BTW, there's a special at:

http://www.bitpusher.com/lopsacolo.php

It's not a bad deal for colo, but you'd have to send your server to San Francisco.

--
Theo Van Dinter
Systems Administrator: bblisa.org, kluge.net, google.com, etc.