[BBLISA] Data recovery results

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 14 10:40:27 EDT 2007

I recently asked this list for insight on data recovery methods for a family
member's hard drive that was going bad.  I had fun and received a good
education from the variety of answers.

Well, I ended up trying a Windows program - getdataback for NTFS -
http://www.runtime.org

The free/demo version inspects the drive and shows the complete drive structure
it was able to build.  If everything looks good, it then costs $80 to have it
actually recover the data.  For an 80 GB drive on a 1 Ghz P3 w/384 MB RAM, the
read-only inspection took about 6 hours.  It gives the option of skipping or
re-trying bad sectors.  I elected to have it skip the bad sectors.  After the
inspection, the directory structure looked really good, so I paid the $80
online and received the code to permit formal data extraction.  That took
another several hours, but in the end, with some minor data loss, the recovery
results were breathtaking.

To really test if the data content was intact, I called up some word documents
and they came up fully intact.   Some jpg images were lost. Some avi files
played back perfectly.   Looked to me like those files that could be fully
recovered were done so intact.   I only took a random sampling for the test.

The recovered data took about 3.8 GB space, so I'm placing it on a DVD and will
give it to them.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.   I'd never used or heard of this product
before, but would very highly recommend it based on my results.

Scott