[BBLISA] Data recovery help request

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 10 15:15:47 EDT 2007

A family member's hard drive has started to fail.   I connected it to my
Windows box and Windows claimed it was a new drive and wanted to reformat it.
I said no.

I then connected to my Linux box and it saw 4 partitions - two "unknown", one
Novell, and one NTFS.

I used dd to try and preserve the partitions; one of the unknowns was fine, the
other gave me a disk i/o error immediately and stopped; the ntfs one got much
of the way through but also gave a disk i/o error.   I didn't bother with the
tiny Novell one.

With all of this, is there a better way to try and recover the data?  My next
step is to use strings to try and recover whatever data I can.  Is there any
tool and/or method I can use to try and preserve the existing data as though it
came back from a data recovery shop, without having to spend much money?  The
drive is still pretty good, so I can always redo the data retrieval.

The goal is data retrieval with little or no cost.

I'll be happy to consider Linux, Mac, and Windows options.

Thanks.

Scott