[BBLISA] dump or Legato Networker?

Dan Lipsitt danlipsitt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 23:51:31 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 8:13 PM, Michael Tiernan <michael.tiernan at gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue I believe that I was remembering was something more along
> the lines of a uniquely linux quirk where "dump" did not permit
> correct restores. Hell, this could've been a 2.2 kernel issue and long
> since cured. I've just never been smart enough to get to the bottom of
> the issue once and for all.

You're probably thinking of this message from Linus in 2001:

http://groups.google.com/group/mlist.linux.kernel/msg/660b7d5e92dd7eb7

The soundbite version is this:

"Note that dump simply won't work reliably at all even in 2.4.x...
This is only going to get even worse in 2.5.x... Dump was a stupid
program in the first place. Leave it behind."

Dan