[BBLISA] RAM speed difference?

Tom Fitzgerald tfitz at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 26 13:48:29 EST 2007

>     There are very few reasons to pick a single channel config over a
> dual.  Real world benchmarks tend to show the difference being minor,
> but if it's 6 of 1 vs a half dozen of the other, go dual channel.

The one overwhelming reason would be if a dual channel setup
(twice the slots with half as much RAM per slot) required all slots
to be filled, when there was even the slightest chance you'd ever
want to add RAM later.

Honestly I've never been able to see the speed difference in dual
channel memory under a real life workload.  Several times I've had
to add more RAM to a system that, when I bought it, I was sure
would have enough.  As a result I always leave open RAM slots.