[BBLISA] RAM speed difference?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Dec 24 10:45:21 EST 2007

The difference is 16Gig (4 x 4Gb) vs 4Gig (2 x 2Gb), which could be
pretty substantial--that is, if it matters at all: If your
compute-intensive applictation runs in say 1Gb, but with a lot of loops
(the compute part), then having 16 Gig is a waste. But if your compute
part uses (or could use) a great deal of memory, (eg random access on a
large (16gb+) memory mapped file, then the 16Gig will make a big
difference. But we don't know if this is the case. And
"compute-intensive" doesn't necessarilly mean "memory-hog".  There are
plenty of numerical algorithms that run with a relatively small fixed
amount of memory, but require fast CPU to memory access, because memory
locations are being repeatedly updated or read.  We don't know if this
is the case.

The correct choice depends on things we don't know, yet.

		--Dean