[BBLISA] PDA/Smartphone for *nix admin types?

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 12:42:45 EST 2007

I'm currently stuck with a BlackBerry Pearl.  I have nothing good to
say about this device and would like to replace it with something that
meets the following requirements:

 1) Supports SMS for alerts from my monitoring systems
 2) Supports basic email (POP would be fine for retrieving email)
 3) Has basic web browsing capability
 4) Supports an SSH client
 5) Has a useful user interface. (Subjective,  but ANYTHING has to be
better than RIM.)
 6) Supports Scheduling (see catch below)

Numbers 5 and 6 are the tough ones here.

For example, every portable device more complex than a basic phone has
a  QWERTY keyboard.  (I really miss graffiti and would love to LART
the marketing moron that thought a mini, multi letter per key, QWERTY
keyboard was a good idea.)

Scheduling is complicated by the fact that my current environment uses
Outlook for communal scheduling.  A mechanism to automatically
synchronize an Outlook calendar with a Google Calendar would be ideal.

This doesn't have to be a single device.  I would love to have a
decent PDA that could (easily) maintain a Net connection via bluetooth
to my mobile phone.   The phone could handle the SMS alerts and the
PDA could do the rest.  This would have the added benefit of only
having to carry a small phone when I didn't need the PDA
functionality.

  - Paul Beltrani