[BBLISA] Who broke audacity?

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 11 20:02:21 EST 2007

I use my Ubuntu Gutsy box for three main things - email via ssh, email via web,
and preserving my cassette music collection via Audacity. Everything has been
working flawlessly, until tonight.   I'd last successfully recorded stuff two
nights ago (Sunday), most of the day.

But today, when I turned on my system, audacity didn't show the normal device
it wants to record from (line 1).  When I told it to record, it claimed the
device was in use.  After a couple rounds of broken record attempts did I
realize the device options were not listed.

I visited Edit > Preferences and discovered the playback and record drop-down
lists were non-functional.

I visited System > Preferences > Sound and tested audio.  It worked fine.

What happened to audacity?   Did some apt-get or aptitude update package break
something from Sunday night, the last time I think I may have updated stuff?

I tried an aptitude reinstall audacity, and did an rm -rf ~/.audacity-data, but
nothing helps.

What happened?

Thanks.

Scott