[BBLISA] OpenDir, passwd, LDAP and Linux: Oh my!

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Mon Dec 3 15:06:54 EST 2007

Hi all.  I have Apple Xserve with Open Dir running.  I have presently ldap
client running on linux for authentication.  Here's the strange thing:

When a user uses "passwd" in linux, changes his/her password, *both* the new
and old password still work!

I tried looking in /etc/{passwd,shadow,group,gshadow} to see if there's some
new entry there.  Nope.

I tried rebooting the client.  No change.

I did not try rebooting the server (people using it.)

I double-checked /etc/nsswitch.conf:
	passwd:     files ldap
	shadow:     files ldap
	group:      files ldap

And here's one more clue:
	Suppose my initial password is pass1
	And then I change password to pass2.  Now "pass1" and "pass2" both
work.
	And then I change password to pass3.  Now "pass1" and "pass3" both
work, but not "pass2"

Any suggestions?