[BBLISA] Sun vs Netapp

Peter Galvin pbg at cptech.com
Mon Aug 27 11:09:27 EDT 2007

I've used both in testing and in production. ZFS snapshotting is certainly
on par with NetApp snapshotting. ZFS in some ways is ahead of the NetApp
functionality because the numbers of read-only and read-write snapshots are
essentially unlimited.

In fact in early ZFS testing at one point I was taking 1 snapshot per
minute, one per hour, and one per day for 30 days for multiple file systems.
Ended up with hundreds of snapshots on the system with no apparent
performance penalty or other issues.

--Peter

Blog: http://pbgalvin.wordpress.com