[BBLISA] LDAP + SAMBA + NIS + PHP help

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 25 16:45:15 EDT 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Sean OMeara wrote:

> nis + ldap?? that's completely redundant.. do you plan on having an NIS
> server look up its information in an ldap back end?
>
> just have the hosts look up the info from the ldap directory directly.
> You'll have the option of using ssl or tls in that configuration.

I'm still learning the real details of ldap, other than simply knowing
it's a directory service and that some programs use it for directory
searches.

> are you still planning on kerberos integration?

Nothing is ruled out, but setting up a DNS is not a priority right now, as
I'm told a DNS server (A and PTR records) is required.

Right now, I'm just looking to simply have a single user login and the
same user home directory mounted and available for either platform (WinXP
+ Linux).

Scott