[BBLISA] filesystems supporting snapshots

Joshua Putnam Joshua.Putnam at intersystems.com
Thu Aug 23 18:10:03 EDT 2007

A comment on snapshots in Linux LVM.

About 6 months ago or so, I considered implementing LVM snapshots on a
production RHEL4 box.

I decided to stress test the system by using a script to repeatedly
create, delete and recreate snapshots for 100 iterations.

After a while, the script hung and the filesystem was corrupted in an
unrecoverable way, so I decided this was not yet ready for primetime.

It's possible that all the bugs are now worked out, but IMHO I would
stress test this extensively before using it for anything you really
care about.

Regards,

Joshua Putnam
Sr. Unix Administrator