[BBLISA] 10+ TB RAID experiences?

Arthur Gaer gaer at math.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 22 11:42:54 EDT 2007

Let me add my own strong second to Tony's NetApp recommendation, for
pretty much all the reasons Tony listed.

My favorite pieces of server-ish equipment ever.  Incredibly
reliable, excellent tech support, relatively easy to configure.  Once
configured the way you need it just works forever with practically no
SysAdmin intervention needed, so you can spend your limited time
dealing with more interesting topics than continuously reliable file
storage.

Snapshots are definitely a huge win--I've only ever had to retrieve
files from tape three times in the seven years I've had NetApps.
Every other time someone lost a file or needed an earlier version it
was already sitting on the NetApp in a snapshot directory, available
for the user's own retrieval.

Arthur Gaer
gaer at math.harvard.edu

Senior Systems Manager, Department of Mathematics
Harvard University, 617-495-1610, FAX: 617-495-5132