[BBLISA] 10+ TB RAID experiences?

Nicholas Kathmann nicholas.kathmann at kathmannconsulting.com
Wed Aug 22 10:32:48 EDT 2007

I've managed the EMC FC series, CX series, and the IBM DS4000 series.
Over the last couple years, we eventually moved everything off of EMC
and onto IBM DS4300 Turbos, which I really like and enjoy working with.
One of the considerations you might want to look at is making sure you
can use both FC and SATA disks in the same array, that way you can have
your dbs running on high speed (high cost) "primary" storage and your
F&P on lower speed (cheap cost) "secondary" storage.  From what I've
seen so far:

EMC purchased through Dell - Dell has a contract with EMC to only allow
you to have Dell support the DELL | EMC branded equipment.  Even though
it's been stable and relatively easy to manage, the licensing and way
Dell handles things I really don't like.  For instance, if you purchase
a DELL|EMC SAN from Dell, they will only sell it to you with
professional services (them installing it for you), and they wanted
another ~$30-35K for that.  You can get around it by purchasing the
system as a DAS first, then adding switches later.  Dell's advanced
systems support is horrible also.  I've had their highest level
engineers say really dumb things like "What is iSCSI?" and "I know you
are running linux, but I need you to right click on My Computer..."

EMC purchased separately - Support much better, but I still didn't like
the Navisphere tiered licensing, and the agent / powerpath licensing
costs.  EMC support is much better than Dell's support of the same
products, but I haven't had to call for anything really hard to figure
out. (usually just failed drive replacements)

IBM - The DS4300s have been really stable, really easy to manage, and
the IBM tech support is very knowledgeable.  There are two support
options, one is hardware only and the other includes applications also
(such as RDAC).  This is truthfully the only system I'll do live system
upgrades of the SAN switches and controllers during production hours
without worrying about bringing down anything attached (which includes
live SAP systems, DB servers, a pretty large VMWare infrastructure, ...).

Cisco (SAN Switches) - So far have been really good, and have actually
know the SAN products better than some of the vendors themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

Nick