[BBLISA] Help with backups

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 20 09:27:10 EDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 09:05:30PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Dan Ritter wrote:
>>> rsync and --exclude
>>
>> The --exclude options for rsync look similar to tar.   If I wanted to
>> include a directory for exclusion, what would the proper command-line be
>> for tar and rsync to exclude a directory?
>
> read the man page on ANCHORING INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERNS, but
> basically:
>
> rsync -av --exclude /mnt / remote:/destination/
>
> -dsr-
>
> --
> Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
>
> http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.

rsync is working well, except I get chown errors on certain
files/folders, but the data does appear to be backing up fine..   I tried
using -o -p -g but didn't matter.

I'm running it as sudo.

So how do I successfully preserve all ownership permissions and receive no
errors during the backup?

The backups are appearing as owned by me on the destination system, which
happens to be samba-mounted (smb/cifs).   Is this rsync or samba-mount
related?  I'm using the rsync included with the default install of CentOS
5.  yum updates are not possible on this system.

Thanks.

Scott