[BBLISA] HVAC Engineer?

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.com
Thu Apr 5 08:45:20 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm facing some very tight financial pressures in keeping a small server
room happy with the addition of a small cluster for computation, and the
oncoming (perhaps?) warmer weather.

I'm going to need more AC.

I "know" lots about datacenter design, and I can certainly find a
contractor to put in a new unit.  However, what I'm hoping to find is an
engineer who can take a look at my current situation and make some
quantifiable suggestions as to how to get more efficiency out of our
current setup, and exactly what we should do to expand the current
operation.

I'm trying to find someone who is an engineer and can work for me, not a
vendor.  As I also have to pay utilities for this room, effort put into
making it more efficient in general will pay off.  Finally, it's not
well set up right now - I wouldn't have done it this way - but I need
expertise to know what I should do to remediate the current environment,
where "should" means how much effort (cost) for what order of benefit.
And, again, how best to increase the total cooling.

Again, I know about hot aisles/cold aisles, insulation, etc.  Someone
with numbers is who I'm looking for.

I'd also be happy to hear about really good experiences with contractors
- but if anyone knows a consulting engineer for a fairly small task, I'd
be most appreciative.

Thanks!

_KMP