[BBLISA] VOIP experience

Eddy Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Sat Sep 30 11:23:05 EDT 2006

I'm using dsci, www.dscicorp.com
I do IT consulting at various companies, and only one of them had a phone
system that satisfied me.  So I asked them who they used, and it's DSCI.
I've since used a hosted pbx solution from dsci at a different company, and
have been very pleased.

I know one guy who uses covad, and he's happy with it.  As long as you get
an MPLS T1 that's connected directly back to their location, and you elect
to run a certain level of QoS on the line, you get perfect voice quality.

I think it's better to have the pbx solution outsourced rather than
in-house, because of two reasons - (1) If it's in-house, you're absolutely
responsible for it.  If it's outsourced, the people who maintain it eat,
breathe, and dream nothing but phone systems.  (2) Where we have it
outsourced, if the T1 goes down for some reason, of course we can't receive
calls.  But any caller will still get the normal ringing, followed by voice
prompts, and leave voicemail.  If I go get an internet connection somewhere,
I can open a webpage and forward somebody's extension to their cell phone.
Where we have it in-house, if the T1 goes down, callers get a busy signal,
end of story.

  _____