[BBLISA] Dual processor laptops?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:55:03 EDT 2006

Nicholas Kathmann <nicholas.kathmann at kathmannconsulting.com> wrote:

> Last I heard, the dual-cores offer a 1.4x - 1.8x performance upgrade
> over a single processor.  You don't get full 2x like you would with both
> processors, but they use a lot less power and generate less heat.

You're unlikely to typically see 2x with two separate processors either,
as you still have contention for memory and disk, and a plethora of
applications can only use one CPU at a time.

I've been told that recent AMD dual-core CPUs have a better memory
architecture, and therefore suffer less memory contention.
Consequently, some applications will peform better on dual-core AMD
CPUs.  On other other hand, the most recent Intel CPUs have better
floating point performance, so if your applications are doing a lot of
floating-point number crunching, then Intel CPUs might perform better.