[BBLISA] Reliable hardware vendor sought

Leif Bergman leif at renesys.com
Tue Oct 10 10:10:29 EDT 2006

Hello folks,

We have had lots of trouble with our current hardware vendor
(asacomputers.com) and are now looking for a new one.  For more
details on the issues we have had, see below.

Thus, I am looking for vendor suggestions.  We have been purchasing
AMD based systems with SATA disks.  Also, we are not looking for top
of the line, just reasonably reliable and inexpensive.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks,

Leif

Problems with asacomputers.com hardware:

These are 1U AMD based systems with 3ware raid controllers and 4 SATA
disks.  We have had the following issues:

After a powercycle, the system will get to GRUB, but fail to actually
boot the kernel.  A reboot without a powercycle works fine.

Disks will fail in the 3ware at a rate of about 1 per every 1-3 days.
Extended tests run on the disks show no problems.  Pulling out and
reseating the disk will allow it to rebuild fine.  Sometimes, though
the pulling out and reseating of the disk will fail another disk as
well.

If you want further details, email me and I'd be glad to provide them.