[BBLISA] GPL system monitoring tools? (alternatives to nagios)

Jason Qualkenbush jqualkenbush at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 09:35:45 EST 2006

I don't know about that.  Nagios is really a roll your solution.  All it
really does is manage the polling intervals between checks.  Just about
everything else is something most people are going to write custom to their
environments.

Just make sure you limit the active checks to simple things like ping, url,
and some port checking.  The system health checks (like disks, cpu usage,
application checks) are really best done on the host itself.  Just run a
cron (or whatever the windows equivilant is) job that checks the system and
submits the results to the nagios server via a passive check.

What customizations are you doing?  The config files?  What exactly is
Nagios failing to do?